Monday, December 01, 2008

Best Movie Endings: Part 3

This ended up being a more suspenseful finale than I had anticipated - but a crazy weekend pushed this to a Monday post.  Anyway - you can see my 9th, 8th and 7th favorite movie endings here and the 6th, 5th and 4th  here. Here are my top 3 favorite movie endings.

  1. The Usual Suspects - This gets my top spot because it was the first movie I watched that made me truly appreciate the twist ending.  Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey) walks out of the Police Station, and the detective begins to look around his office and see all the items that Verbal used to craft the story of the movie -and with the drop of a coffee cup and the correction of a limp - Keyser Soze walks off scott free.  The voiceover to close it out is, "...my guess is, you'll never hear from him again... The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist ... and like that... he's gone."
  2. The Game - This movie is really high on my list of favorites and the ending is a big part of it.  I love psychological thrillers and this is a doozie.  Micheal Douglas - shoots his own brother and predictably jumps to his death.  As he's in flight, his life flashes before his eyes, he falls through the glass ceiling and lands on the inflated "X", "Happy Birthday Nicholas!"
  3. Shawshank Redemption - The beauty of this ending is really in the writing of the voiceover in the final scene.  The words come from "Red" (Morgan Freeman's character). The final scene starts with Red saying, I guess it's time to "get busy living or get busy dying." He breaks parole and sets off to find his escapee friend.  As his bus meanders through the counryside he says, "I'm so excited I can barely sit still - I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel - a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain...I hope I can make it across the border... I hope I can find my friend and shake his hand... I hope the pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams... I hope..." Great last words... love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dvrd Usual Suspects after it came up in staff last month.

If I ever make it home again I'll watch it :)