Monday, August 11, 2008

17 Incredible Years with Kim

I have the most amazing wife. I pity all other men because they simply have to settle for second best! I teased her from the front during my sermon today, but honestly Kim is completely perfect for me in every way! We met at age 15 in German class. I thought she was hot then, but she was a punk rocker, wore all black, and had half her head shaved. I was a three sport athlete and it wasn't exactly the ideal match. We didn't date until our senior year at McDowell in 1988 - brought together by our faith in God. We started a prayer ministry at our school to pray for God to pour out His spirit there. We were married 3 years later at the very tender age of 20.

I love this picture that Caleb took a few years ago because I think her face sums up what she's probably thinking most days, "what the heck did I get myself into!?" I could go on ad infinitum singing her praises, but here are 10 things I adore about my wife:


  1. She is one of the most intelligent women I've ever met and carries that intelligence with humility and dignity.
  2. I love the peaceful look on her face when she sleeps.
  3. She rarely wears makeup or jewelry and remains the most breathtakingly beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on.
  4. She designs and builds really beautiful houses and uses power tools (and is very handy to have around the house I might add.)
  5. She is a tremendous example for our kids of what a strong, devoted, successful, Christ-following, driven, loving woman looks like. I want Ayden to grow up to be like her, and I want Caleb and Chase to marry a woman like her.
  6. My heart still beats fast when my mind drifts to her as I'm trying to get work done at the office.
  7. She's mysterious and very deep - people who meet her or see her from a distance get one impression - but to know her is a deep and rich experience.
  8. I love how hard we laugh with each other at night after the kids go to bed.
  9. She's spontaneous with the kids and loves when they make messes - perfectly complementing my type-A/ neat-freak tendencies.
  10. She balances being a mom, and wife, and career woman, and sister, and daughter, and business owner, and friend with a gracefulness that is really beautiful to watch.
We ask each other the same question each anniversary, "if you had it to do all over again would you still take the plunge?" After 17 years it's still a resounding, "YES!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations you guys!!! you are an inspiring couple and we love you both!